The Ministry of Education and Science is responsible for education, science, sports, youth and state language policies in Latvia. We are here to foster a highly innovative, wealthy and integrated society in which everyone has equal opportunities for development.
We are responsible for:
- pre-school, basic and secondary education, including education in minority languages
- vocational, continuing education and life-learning
- informal and values education
- juvenile correctional education
- education for children and young people with special needs
- the field of higher education and research
- the national sports policy
- coordinating development and implementation of youth policy
- international cooperation in youth field
- promoting access of young people to their rights
- strengthening the status of the Latvian language
- promoting engagement in foreign language learning among the public
Principles and values
The Ministry operates according to the principles of openness, transparency and accountability. We are committed to facilitating dialogue with the public by sharing information and providing extensive explanation of the relevant policies.