To submit an application to the Academic Information Centre.
May submit a submission:
• personally (address: Dzirnavu Street 16, 3 rd floor, Riga; E-mail: email@example.com; tel. 67225155);
• by post (address: Wall Street 2, Riga LV-1050
• electronically signed documents with a secure electronic signature (address: firstname.lastname@example.org)
• An application for the recognition of a regulated teacher’s professional qualification obtained abroad can be submitted electronically by an e-application (link: https://latvija.lv/E-formu_katalogs/AIC/AIC_Prof_kvalifik?msgid=652ad32…) for the recognition of a teacher’s professional qualification obtained abroad*.
(*The opportunity to use this e-service is intended for teachers from the Member States of the European Union and the European Economic Area as well as Ukraine who wish to recognize their professional qualification for permanent activity in the regulated teacher’s profession the Republic of Latvia. The e-application can be filled in by teachers who use Latvia’s secure electronic signature)
Add to an application
- a copy of the personal identification document;
- documents certifying education and professional qualifications (diplomas and annexes thereto (extracts of performance), with translation into Latvian)
- documents from the country of origin concerning the right to pursue a profession in that country (certificates, licences, registration, etc. if any);
- a statement of work experience abroad (if any);
Performing a payment
To pay for recognition of professional qualifications of EUR 240
Receipt of services
The Ministry of Education and Science (Ministry) (upon receipt of the submission of the applicant for the recognition of professional qualifications and the statement of the Academic Information Centre regarding the level of education acquired by the applicant) shall compare the content of the professional qualification acquired in foreign states with the requirements specified in Latvia in the teaching profession specified in Regulation No 569.
The Ministry shall take a decision within a specified time period. The decision should be taken within 4 months on the qualifications obtained by the EU, within 6-12 months of the professional qualifications obtained outside the EU, since all documents have been submitted to the Academic Information Centre.
If the education acquired by the applicant conforms to the requirements specified in Latvia for work in the teaching profession, the Ministry shall issue a decision regarding the recognition of professional qualifications and the applicant shall receive a certificate for the recognition of professional qualifications.
If the education acquired by the applicant only partially complies with the requirements set out in Latvia for work in the teaching profession and this non-compliance is essential, the Ministry shall issue a decision regarding the fact that the applicant has to complete the qualification test or have to pass the adaptation period.
If the education acquired by the applicant does not comply with the requirements specified in Latvia for work in the teaching profession, the Ministry will provide information and advise the applicant regarding the opportunities to acquire such education in Latvia, which will give the right to work as an educator.
The applicant for the recognition of the professional qualification of the Ministry may challenge the decision again in the Ministry, which will re-evaluate the submission of the applicant, or in court.